Unite have confirmed they will be striking every Wednesday and Friday until March, if a resolution is not found to drivers’ pay row with the council.
Officials from trade union Unite, which represents many of the drivers, entered into further talks with Coventry City Council yesterday (January 13).
This week, drivers have taken part in four days of industrial action on the picket line outside the Council’s Whitley depot on London Road.
However, there has been some confusion locally about what impact the strike dates will have on household waste collections.
Unite confirmed to CoventryLive today (January 14) that they will strike every Wednesday and Friday until March.
Keep up with all of the latest local news with our daily newsletter
Confirmed Unite bin driver strike days are:
- January 19, 21, 26 and 28
- February 2, 4, 9, 11, 16, 18, 23, 25
- March 2, 4, 9, 11, 16, 18, 23
As such, Coventry City Council have announced a new household waste collection schedule, shifting collections to Tuesday and Thursday, depending on when you would normally have your bin emptied.
The updated plan means every household will get their green-lidded household waste bin emptied every other week.
- If your collection day is usually a Wednesday it will now be Tuesday instead.
- If your collection day is usually a Friday it will be Thursday instead.
- There is no change to Tuesday and Thursday collections.
People can check the website at www.coventry.gov.uk/bindays to find out when their next collection will be.
Anyone without access to the internet is asked to visit their local library or call the council’s customer services on 08085 834333.
Makeshift waste drop-off centres have been erected in several sites across the city to at least allow residents to dispose of household waste from over the festive period.
A reminder that the following waste-drop off sites are open seven days a week from 8am to 4.30pm:
- Cheylesmore car park (off New Union Street)
- War Memorial Park (main car park)
- Hearsall Common (off Beechwood Avenue)
- Sowe Common car park
- Leicester Row
- Wyken Slough