Rumours circulating on social media that child killer Emma Tustin had been attacked and killed in jail have been dismissed as false.

Posts appeared on Facebook earlier this week saying that Tustin, 32, who was recently jailed for 29 years for the murder of her stepson Arthur Labinjo-Hughes, had been attacked by another prisoner in HMP Peterborough.

The false claims appeared on social media but have since been removed.

READ MORE: all the latest Coventry news

Links to the posts now say: “False information. Checked by independent fact-checkers.”

One Facebook post said: “Emma Tustin has been found dead in her cell after ben [sic] attacked by a wing cleaner who is also a prisoner. reports suggest she has been stabbed over 20 times with an [sic] homemade prison knife.”

The rumours were investigated by Reuters’ Fact Check team and dismissed as a hoax.



Undated family handout file photo of Arthur Labinjo-Hughes. In December, 32-year-old Emma Tustin was jailed for life for the murder of six-year-old Arthur Labinjo-Hughes after she cruelly abused, starved and poisoned him. His father, Thomas Hughes, 29, was found guilty of his manslaughter, after encouraging the killing. Issue date: Sunday December 12, 2021. PA Photo. See PA story SOCIAL Review2021. Photo credit should read: Olivia Labinjo-Halcrow/PA Wire NOTE TO EDITORS: This handout photo may only be used in for editorial reporting purposes for the contemporaneous illustration of events, things or the people in the image or facts mentioned in the caption. Reuse of the picture may require further permission from the copyright holder.

It said: “Emma Tustin, a British woman convicted of murdering her six-year-old stepson Arthur Labinjo-Hughes, is alive, and claims about her death in a British prison are fake.

“The false claim has spread across social media.

“Tustin is now imprisoned in HMP Peterborough in Cambridgeshire.

“Since then, social media posts have claimed the 32-year-old was killed by a fellow inmate.

“However Sodexo, which runs HMP Peterborough, told Reuters that this was not true.”



Reuters also said it was not the first time a false claim about Tustin’s wellbeing had been circulated.

It said that earlier this month Facebook users falsely said she had been admitted to hospital after being forced to eat packets of salt.

Tustin was sentenced to a minimum of 29 years in prison on December 3, at Coventry Crown Court.

Her partner and Arthur’s father, Thomas Hughes, was sentenced to 21 years for manslaughter.

The killers will see their jail sentences reviewed, it has been announced.

The sentences have been referred to the Court of Appeal for being too lenient, Attorney General Suella Braverman said.

Arthur was left with an unsurvivable brain injury while in the sole care of his father’s partner, Tustin.

Tustin was convicted of murder by assaulting Arthur in the hallway of her Cranmore Road home in Solihull, on June 16, 2020.

Arthur, whose body was also covered in 130 bruises, died in hospital the next day.

Keep up with all of the latest local news with our daily newsletter





Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *