Kind-hearted friends and neighbours have donated more than £1,000 to a family “left with nothing” before Christmas after a devastating house fire.
June Hart Jones and her family had a lucky escape when their home in Wood End caught fire in the early hours of Saturday morning.
They had been woken by the sound of fire alarms in the early hours of the morning to find “thick, black smoke” in the property.
Luckily, the family managed to get to safety. June and her son Nathan, 14, were unharmed and her husband Kieran suffered some smoke inhalation.
But the serious fire has destroyed many of their possessions just before Christmas.
Neighbour Jayne Thay has set up a fundraiser on the website GoFundMe to change that. More than 60 donors have already raised £1,040.
Writing on the page, she said: “On November 27 a fire ripped through our lovely neighbour June’s family home, leaving them with nothing.
“With what has already been an unpredictable year I am trying to raise money for June, her Partner and her children to enable them to try and rebuild what they have lost and to also have some sort of Christmas.
“I have been June’s neighbour for many, many years and she would be doing the exact same for anyone else. Any donation will be very much appreciated.”
Yesterday, June issued a plea asking for anyone who lives nearby to keep an eye out for her missing cats Marmalade and Star, who haven’t been seen since the fire.
They managed to rescue their dog and tortoise but they believe the cats may have become scared and run off, taking shelter somewhere.
June told how her step-dad had returned to the home to look for the cats, looking under tiles left scattered in the bedroom after the roof partially collapsed.
She also spoke of the kindness of her neighbours, many of whom were strangers before the fire.
You can visit the fundraising page here.